Friday, March 02, 2007

Schedule and Service - Mike

In my life here in the 1304 Community, I often struggle with how my service through 1304 intertwines with my work schedule. When I moved into 1304, I was working a morning shift with a tech support company, so I had afternoons and also one weekday free each week. I was able to spend parts of my afternoons and free weekday at off-ramps or talking with people dropping by our house. It felt like my opportunites were put in front of me. Now, I am working a more-standard shift at a different job in Lynnwood. I'm out of the house until 6 or 7pm and
don't have any free weekdays.

I am finding that I don't naturally seek most of my service opportunities at 1304. I think that part of this is that I naturally move toward comfort in my life. I freely admit that I am not the most comfortable person when it comes to talking to strangers. I have to give myself a pep talk and a game plan on my walk from my car to the corner of an off-ramp. Even then, I find myself nervous and unsure of how to extend love and care to people.

So, all that said, I have been learning that in order to serve others, I have to go outside of my normal routines and let go of my schedule. Looking back at the last few months, I can point to days where I willingly asked and looked for service opportunities and days that I didn't try. I see that the days where I am seeking are days that are fulfilling and days that I'm not seeking are...I guess they are just days...and I want more of those fulfilling days. I want days that I find myself in God's presence and doing His work...so, so yeah, I need to do more seeking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home