Hannah
Sometimes I forget about the God that I love and worship and, at least theoretically, live for. Life in the past few weeks has been reminder after reminder of what this God who is supposed to be the center of my life is all about--I am bombarded with it everwhere I go.
--In my History of Christianity class we talk about God's incredible grace and the different responses, good and bad, that people have had to it over the centuries of Christianity.
--In Philosophy I'm reminded that God cares about ethical choices and I can't get around the fact that all true ethical theory and choices are rooted in Him (it's all about rationality + revelation, baby).
--In Art History we study the artistry that God created in people, and church buildings depicting Biblical stories and themes like God's creation of man and man's fallenness.
--Romans 5:17 "For if, by the tresspass of on man, death reigned through that one man, how much more will those who receive God's abundant provision of grace and of the gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man, Jesus Christ."
--I skipped school on Monday because by the time the weekend was over I was so overwhelmed with things that I couldn't get done, that I couldn't bring myself to ride the bus and sit in classes. I went to the Edmonds beach, and--surprise--there was more God. The loud sound of the wind and the waves, the birds suspended in the air, the sky's reflection of the water, all the work of God's speaking into nothingness. "He restoreth my soul."
--Near the Edmonds beach, in the middle of this school-skipping day of rest, I met a homeless lady, drove her around and tried to talk to her.
--The next day Deb and I talked to a lady who dropped in at the church and needed food for herself and her four kids; later when Janet, Scott, and I went to visit another lady we know I saw her really light up for the first time since I've known her and I knew that somehow our talking to her and bringing her blankets got through to her. The visit took extra long, and by the end of the day I found myself feeling resentful toward God for taking up all this time lately that I was "supposed" to be spending on my to-do list. Apparently God gets to make other plans for me.
--After panicking about scholarships and papers (and a certain blog) for probably a week, everything somehow worked out, kind of against all odds. And I basically discovered that I had spent so much energy worrying for no good reason.
Maybe I'm just beginning to really realize (again) that everything comes back to God. The bigness of God never ceases to amaze me. I can't fit Him in my back pocket or into my little mind. I can never hope to comprehend Him, yet I'm never to give up trying to know Him. I feel like I'm finding out more about God every day, but I have it on good authority that 50 years from now I still won't even begin to comprehend Him. So, at the risk of being the object of a knowing chuckle or two, here's to continuing to try to know and love God.
--In my History of Christianity class we talk about God's incredible grace and the different responses, good and bad, that people have had to it over the centuries of Christianity.
--In Philosophy I'm reminded that God cares about ethical choices and I can't get around the fact that all true ethical theory and choices are rooted in Him (it's all about rationality + revelation, baby).
--In Art History we study the artistry that God created in people, and church buildings depicting Biblical stories and themes like God's creation of man and man's fallenness.
--Romans 5:17 "For if, by the tresspass of on man, death reigned through that one man, how much more will those who receive God's abundant provision of grace and of the gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man, Jesus Christ."
--I skipped school on Monday because by the time the weekend was over I was so overwhelmed with things that I couldn't get done, that I couldn't bring myself to ride the bus and sit in classes. I went to the Edmonds beach, and--surprise--there was more God. The loud sound of the wind and the waves, the birds suspended in the air, the sky's reflection of the water, all the work of God's speaking into nothingness. "He restoreth my soul."
--Near the Edmonds beach, in the middle of this school-skipping day of rest, I met a homeless lady, drove her around and tried to talk to her.
--The next day Deb and I talked to a lady who dropped in at the church and needed food for herself and her four kids; later when Janet, Scott, and I went to visit another lady we know I saw her really light up for the first time since I've known her and I knew that somehow our talking to her and bringing her blankets got through to her. The visit took extra long, and by the end of the day I found myself feeling resentful toward God for taking up all this time lately that I was "supposed" to be spending on my to-do list. Apparently God gets to make other plans for me.
--After panicking about scholarships and papers (and a certain blog) for probably a week, everything somehow worked out, kind of against all odds. And I basically discovered that I had spent so much energy worrying for no good reason.
Maybe I'm just beginning to really realize (again) that everything comes back to God. The bigness of God never ceases to amaze me. I can't fit Him in my back pocket or into my little mind. I can never hope to comprehend Him, yet I'm never to give up trying to know Him. I feel like I'm finding out more about God every day, but I have it on good authority that 50 years from now I still won't even begin to comprehend Him. So, at the risk of being the object of a knowing chuckle or two, here's to continuing to try to know and love God.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home