Thursday, June 07, 2007

May - Addictions (Deb)

I’ve realized some things about myself this month and I see it paralleled with a lady we helped move earlier this month. She is an elderly lady who hoards things, regardless of whether or not she intends to or thinks about it much. Anything from food to mail to little knick-knacks all end up piled several feet high in the motel room she lives in. I’m guessing this all started with little things here and there… Maybe thinking “oh, just this one more little thing. I can’t pass it up…” Or maybe she feels she needs all the things she has piled up… In any case, I see my own addictions have that same nasty, sneaky trait about them. Especially when it’s something that doesn’t seem outright bad for me or is something that I really want. Even things I need or crave can become dangerous addictions. It’s incredibly hard to know when to stop because it’s easy to not notice how you can let “the little things” slide as you go about your life. Thankfully, I live in a community that can help keep me accountable, if I let them know what I’m struggling with. Making the choices to share with others so they can help me watch my addictions is the hard part cause it'll force me to stay honest, but it will have the healthiest outcomes in the end.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home