A while back, I was reading a book of essays by Dorothy L Sayers. It was a collection of essays on the importance of the creeds to Christianity. One of the things that she said particularly struck me. “Christianity…is fiercely, even harshly, realistic insisting that the kingdom of heaven can never be attained in this world except by unceasing toil and struggle and work; that in fact we cannot be good and cannot be happy, but that there are certain eternal achievements that make even happiness look like trash.” Living here at 1304 is a steady reminder that living with Christ and striving to be like Him is never easy. Making good choices with my time and money is definitely not easy, but at least here I am reminded that there is good reason for me to do what is right. The last bit of that quote is very evocative. I’m not sure exactly what it means, but I am absolutely sure there is truth in it.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home