The Way Things Should Be - Torey
I want to tell you about a friend of mine that lives in North Seattle. She's in her late sixties, and has had a rough life. Both of her parent's died when she was fairly young. Her parents had several shops at the Pike Place Market, and one was even named after her. It sounds like they just sold random odds and ends that they acquired throughout their lives. Their daughter tried to pick up where they left off but for whatever reason was unsuccessful, and has been left with many little collectibles and a compulsion to hoard things. A week or two ago she gave both the girl I was visiting with and myself necklaces that she had stashed in an old cookie tin. I warned her that I didn't wear jewelry, but I promised that I would give it to my future girlfriend - she liked that plan.
On previous visits she's given me other little gifts, like bumper stickers, little plaques with Bible verses on them, motivational Christian calenders, and a nightlight. Even though she's never given me anything remotely useful (except maybe the necklace, someday), it still makes me feel good each time.
Most of us in the 1304 community have been given little nicknames by her. Jeremiah is the "electrician" with the "real nice way about him." Steve was the "real-tall six-foot-five guy." Sean is the "pastor that wore shorts" when he visited her (she got quite a kick out of that). Another friend of mine that has gotten to know her quite well is known as "the girl with the nice German car." She's never driven a car herself, but she's very interested in them. Each time I visit her she asks me how my car is running, and also how my "old car that I gave to the 'electrician'" is doing. On my last visit she was saddened to hear that my old car had finally died.
Once when I was stuck at home sick, some others from the house went to bring her some groceries. She found out from them that I was sick, and as soon as they left she called the church to talk to me and see how I was doing. It was nice.
Before we visit her we generally call her to make sure she's there, and she usually has a small grocery list for us. Some of her favorite things are Tillamook cheddar cheese and Minute-Maid Raspberry Lemonade. Sometimes when I've been in a cynical mood, I've wondered whether she just likes us to visit because we bring her groceries. On my last visit, I think this question was answered. I went with a friend who had to be back in Shoreline at a specific time, so we did not have time to stop and pick up any food to bring. I was a little worried that we wouldn't be well received because we weren't bringing her giving her anything, but we were still greeted by a big smile (her eyes twinkle when she smiles, it's great!). She also invited us to come inside her place, something that she has only started doing in the last month. We talked for a for a quite awhile and she never brought up the fact that we hadn't brought anything. When we told her we had to get going it was clear that she didn't want us to leave yet - and she successfully (as always) stalled us for awhile longer, but eventually it was time to go. As she shook our hands and waived goodbye from her doorway, I saw a tear come to her eye.
We are no longer just the church people that bring her groceries once a week, and she's no longer the pushy old woman that demands Tillamook instead of Kroger. We're friends that don't like to say goodbye, and I think that's how things are supposed to be.
On previous visits she's given me other little gifts, like bumper stickers, little plaques with Bible verses on them, motivational Christian calenders, and a nightlight. Even though she's never given me anything remotely useful (except maybe the necklace, someday), it still makes me feel good each time.
Most of us in the 1304 community have been given little nicknames by her. Jeremiah is the "electrician" with the "real nice way about him." Steve was the "real-tall six-foot-five guy." Sean is the "pastor that wore shorts" when he visited her (she got quite a kick out of that). Another friend of mine that has gotten to know her quite well is known as "the girl with the nice German car." She's never driven a car herself, but she's very interested in them. Each time I visit her she asks me how my car is running, and also how my "old car that I gave to the 'electrician'" is doing. On my last visit she was saddened to hear that my old car had finally died.
Once when I was stuck at home sick, some others from the house went to bring her some groceries. She found out from them that I was sick, and as soon as they left she called the church to talk to me and see how I was doing. It was nice.
Before we visit her we generally call her to make sure she's there, and she usually has a small grocery list for us. Some of her favorite things are Tillamook cheddar cheese and Minute-Maid Raspberry Lemonade. Sometimes when I've been in a cynical mood, I've wondered whether she just likes us to visit because we bring her groceries. On my last visit, I think this question was answered. I went with a friend who had to be back in Shoreline at a specific time, so we did not have time to stop and pick up any food to bring. I was a little worried that we wouldn't be well received because we weren't bringing her giving her anything, but we were still greeted by a big smile (her eyes twinkle when she smiles, it's great!). She also invited us to come inside her place, something that she has only started doing in the last month. We talked for a for a quite awhile and she never brought up the fact that we hadn't brought anything. When we told her we had to get going it was clear that she didn't want us to leave yet - and she successfully (as always) stalled us for awhile longer, but eventually it was time to go. As she shook our hands and waived goodbye from her doorway, I saw a tear come to her eye.
We are no longer just the church people that bring her groceries once a week, and she's no longer the pushy old woman that demands Tillamook instead of Kroger. We're friends that don't like to say goodbye, and I think that's how things are supposed to be.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home