Salem continued
Monday – Met Jim and Bill and gave them socks and water.
When we talked to Jim he said he was homeless because his trailer that he lived in was stolen. I didn't realize some people were homeless just due to misfortune.
Jim told us was that he got $100 from someone so he got a room in a motel with his friend and it was a big thing for them to have a bed and a shower. It made me realize how fortunate I am just to have a warm place to sleep at night.
Tuesday – Talked to Mary. Met three other homeless people and gave them socks and water.
The three homeless people we talked to said they could get help if the wanted, but they didn't want to be support by the government – I though that was interesting.
Eric
Monday - We met Jim Bill and another guy at an intersection. Our group brought them food and other supplies such as socks. Jim was a 30 something year old that had a divorce and had a good sense of humor. He had been in the army. Bill was his friend who had also been in the army and had his RV and $2000 stolen. The other guy was older and had been in the army for many years.
Tuesday – We met Mary and her husband Alex, they were selling Real Change newspapers
We cleaned out a house for a new family moving in, went downtown to experience how hard it is for a homeless person to find a shelter, and went into the YMCA.
I've never cared to look at the homeless part of the city. It is somewhat depressing and awkward to talk with these homeless people – when I went on vacation in Seattle I had a completely different experience.
I realized that I can do something to help homeless people and that most homeless people have problems that are not their faults – many times it is bad luck or a spouse that kicked them out.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home