Monday, November 19, 2007

Remembering God…..Eva….October

Growing up in church is a funny thing. I have always learned and believed that God is awesome and powerful, completely beyond my comprehension. This is the natural shape of my thoughts. I have never understood how people can easily and comfortably talk and sing about God as a best buddy or something. He is God and He does earnestly desire our love, but we would be stupid to forget that we should fear Him. Like being best friends with the ocean and forgetting that tsunamis can come.
But on the other hand, I guess that I do worse than that. I often forget about Him and ignore Him altogether. Or I will rebel against Him is small ways. (Though really, is any rebellion against God small?) It’s a strange thing that I can believe that God is all-powerful and worthy of my love and life and yet live my life as if I was its supreme arbiter. Intellectually I can understand but emotionally I can’t grasp the fact that this is a fallen world and that in it I often pit myself against my Lord and Maker. It’s a much needed reminder that I am not good in myself. I am just as in need of God’s grace as the person sitting next to me in church and as the drunk passed out in the gutter. I can’t follow God on my own. I need His help and the support of my family, my community, and my church. I just need to remember…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home